Asgiriya Raja Maha Vihara is an ancient Cave temple situated in Gampaha District, Sri Lanka. The temple is located on top of a hillock on the Gampaha - Minuwangoda road and approximately 2 km (1.2 mi) away from Gampaha town. The temple has been formally recognised by the Government as an archaeological site in Sri Lanka. The designation was declared on 22 November 2002 under the government Gazette number 1264.
According to traditional Sri Lankan chronicles such as the Mahavamsa and the Dipavamsa, Buddhism was introduced into the island in the third century BCE after the Third Buddhist council by the elder Mahinda and by the elder nun Sangamitta.
Mahinda is associated with the site of Mihintale, one of the oldest Buddhist site in Sri Lanka. Mihintale includes numerous caves which may have been used by the early Sri Lankan sangha.
While there is few artistic .