Avalokiteshvara is the god of compassion. This mandala is handpainted in Nepal. Avalokiteshvara is in the center of the mandala surrounded by Om Mani Padme Hum mantra.
Meaning of Om Mani Padme Hum mantra
- Om is a sacred syllable that you can find in lots of Indian religions.
- Mani means “bead” or “jewel”.
- Padme means “lotus flower”. The lotus flower is the sacred flower of Buddha.
- Hum represents enlightenment.
Benefits of Om Mani Padme Hum mantra
- When you say “Om”, you are making the sound that represents purity. The purity of body, mind, and speech.
- You then say “Mani Padme Hum”. And these words represent the path.
- Mani means to love and compassion.
- Padme means the lotus and represents wisdom
- Hum means enlightenment.
- Put it together and you get: “Purity of mind, body, and speech. Path. Love and compassion. Wisdom. Enlightenment.”
Translate this and it reads, “Be pure in body mind and speech. Follow the path of wisdom with love and compassion. Buddhahood will result”.
As the Dalai Lama said,
“We can live without religion, but we cannot live without human compassion”.
That’s why we need to do our all to make sure that we are compassionate to everyone.