Setu Bandha Sarvangasana – Bridge Pose
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana is a Shoulder-supported bridge or simply Bridge also called Setu Bandhasana. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana is an inverted back-bending asana in hatha yoga and modern yoga as exercise. Setu bandha Sarvangasana is one of the basic backbends poses that prepare one for advanced backbend versions.
The term is derived from the Sanskrit Setu, meaning “bridge,” bandha, meaning “lock,” Sarva, meaning “all,” Anga, meaning, “limb,” and asana meaning “pose.”
Table of Contents
- 1 - History Of Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
- 2 - How To Practice Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
- 3 - Benefits Of Doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana
- 4 - Precautions To Take While Doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana
History Of Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
The pose is entered from Sarvangasana is the chest being held forwards by the hands and the feet lowered to the ground behind the back the knees remaining bent, or more easily by lifting the back from lying supine on the ground. The full pose has the knees bent and the ankles caught (Bandha) by the hands. The pose may be exited either by lying down or by jumping back up into the shoulderstand.
The pose appears as “Kamapithasana” in the 19th century Sritattvanidhi. It is written before 1868.
How To Practice Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
Some of the steps of practicing Setu bandha Sarvangasana are:
- First of all, you must lie on your back with your knees bent and the soles of your feet flat on the floor.
- You should extend your arms on the floor with your fingers reaching toward your heels. You should be able to just barely touch the backs of your heels with your fingertips.
- You must keep your feet parallel. Maintain that position throughout the pose.
- Now, you should press down into the soles of your feet to lift your hips off the floor.
- You must slide your yoga block under your back directly under your sacrum, letting it rest securely on the bolster. Your arms can stay outstretched on the floor next to your body.
- This should be a comfortable position. You may want to stay here several minutes as your body settles into the stretch and gets the benefits of a passive backbend. If the pose causes your back to hurt, remove the block, and come down.
- To come out, you must press down into your feet and lift your hips again. Slide the block out from under your sacrum and gently lower your back to the floor.
Benefits Of Doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana
Some of the benefits of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana are:
The first benefit of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana is thyroid treatment. The butterfly shape thyroid gland in the neck region receives suitable actions and appropriate massage due to performing this yoga asana, which ensures proper secretion of thyroxin hormone. This hormone is beneficial for hypo and hyperthyroidism.
Practicing this asana also helps to make the thyroid gland healthy and diseases free.
The second benefit of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana is weight loss. The proper massage of the thyroid gland helps to control the metabolic process in the body which directly or indirectly manages your weight. One can take maximum stretching in the belly region which may be useful for belly fat burning and making the stomach flat.
Prevent Hair fall
The third benefit of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana is reduced hair fall. Bridge pose yoga is good for healthy hair. Doing the asana along with the above-mentioned technique ensures a smooth flow of oxygen and nutrients in the scalp region.
It makes your follicle stronger and nutritionally enriched which is good to prevent hair fall and hair loss.
Helps to fight the Depression
The fourth benefit of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana is it helps to fight the depression. You can fight your depression by practicing this Yogasana. For depression, it acts as an anxiety therapy.
Now, the question is raised how to bridge pose will help to lessen the symptoms of depression. The Yogasana provides soothing massage to your entire spine. This action is not only good for the vertebral column in fact energizes the networks of nerves inside the spine.
This entire process calming and soothing your mind thus helps in the synchronization of body and mind. This calming effect on the brain ensures in combating of depression and its related symptoms.
Flawless Facial skin
The fifth benefit of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana is having flawless facial skin. The regular practice of this asana is also good for fair complexion. It enhances the beauty of your face by ensuring the supply of more oxygen and essential nutrients to the facial region.
It revitalizes the cells and tissues of the face and helps to make it fresh and refresh.
Reduce Back pain
The sixth benefit of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana is the back pan. If you are suffering from perennial back pain, it is suggested to perform this yoga asana in the presence of a good yoga master. He will allow providing the spine a suitable stretch which in turn helps in easing of back pain.
It will be also beneficial to make your spine healthy and strong. Performing the asana technically will help you to remove strain and sprain from the entire vertebral column.
Reduce Tennis elbow Pain
The seventh benefit of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana is tennis elbow. Tennis elbow is a transient pain that happens in the elbow region. Appropriate rest will help you to come out of the problem.
This yoga exercise gives suitable stretch on the elbow region and acts as a pain reliever from the elbow.
Help in Digestion
The eighth benefit of doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana is it helps indigestion. Due to a faulty lifestyle, our digestion process faces serious threats that lead to the irregular secretion of gastric juices from gastric glands. Unbalanced secretion of such digestive enzymes causes constipation, indigestion, and problems related to stomach disorders.
But the practice of bridge pose helps in sorting out this problem and ensures proper secretion of enzymatic juices. This asana is also good for colon health as it stretches and massages to the abdominal organs, especially the colon.
Reduces Respiratory Problem
If you are suffering from any respiratory problems than it is recommended that while performing this pose. Take adequate stretching in the chest or lungs region which will help in expanding your lungs thereby preventing you from respiratory problems.
Strengthening the weak legs
A large number of people are having leg pain, legs weakness, now and then spasm, twisting, etc. Maintaining Setu Bandhasana helps in strengthening your weak legs.
It also makes your buttocks, hips, thighs, and muscles of the entire leg stronger.
Precautions To Take While Doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana
It’s better to take precautions while doing any exercise or meditation. The precautions to take while doing Setu bandha Sarvangasana are:
- Avoid performing Bridge pose if you are suffering from Backache or have any back injury.
- Do not move your head left or right.
- Avoid doing it if you have a shoulder injury.
- Do not practice it if you have Facet syndrome, Fracture, and severe Osteoporosis or Sacroiliac joint dysfunction.